About this Guide
EndNote is bibliographic management software that works with Microsoft Word to format in-text citations and bibliographies with a given style. It can also be used as a personal repository to store citations from different sources including PubMed, Web of Science, SCOPUS, and CINAHL. The most recent version of EndNote available and supported by Fox Chase is X7.
Portions of this guide were adapted from SLU's EndNote LibGuide by Georgia Baugh, MA, MALIS.
EndNote How-To Book
Citing Medicine: NLM Style Guide
This NLM style guide is a great tool for formatting bibliographic citations and compiling lists of references
EndNote library: This is your collection of references. Each reference in an EndNote library is stored as an individual record with specific fields including author, article title, journal title, chapter, publisher, and date.
Reference types: The type of reference in your EndNote library. Reference types include journal article, book, newspaper article, conference proceeding, report, data set, and software. Each reference type has its own unique template.
Connection files: Connection files allow you to search selected databases, like PubMed, directly from EndNote.
Import filters: These files provide a match between references downloaded from databases or systems and the data fields in EndNote records. Import filters are designed to work with specific information providers and specific databases.
Output styles: These files control the appearance of in-text citations and references in a bibliography. The style names are based on style guides (APA, Chicago, MLA) and journals such as Nature, American Educational Research Journal, and Educational Administration Quarterly.
Term lists: These are lists of words or phrases that act as indexes for your EndNote library. Term lists are used for searching, data entry, and creating bibliographies. Three terms lists are automatically created and updated: Authors, Journals, and Keywords
New Features in EndNote X7
The following are some of the new features unique to EndNote X7:
- Continuous background synchronization between EndNote desktop and EndNote Web.
- New reference import types: Interview, Podcast, Conference Paper, and Press Release.
- Enable auto importing into specified folders or separate groups.
- Microsoft PowerPoint plug-in adds citations and reference lists. (Windows feature only)
- Customizable columns display.
- Control reference ratings display.
- Control read/unread fields display.
- Improved quick search now automatically includes results from PDFs & PDF annotations.
- Shared group indicator.
- Add subheadings to your bibliography.