EndNote library: Your database of literature references/citations. Each reference in an EndNote library is stored as an individual record with specific fields for the author, title, publisher, date, and more.
Reference types: There is a template for each reference type in an EndNote library (e.g. journals, books, newspaper articles, conference proceedings). Version X4 has 47 reference types with 3 unused templates for user-created reference types.
Connection files: These files allow you to search selected databases without leaving the EndNote program. Some of these resources, such as library catalogs and PubMed, are freely available and either install with the EndNote program or are available for download from the EndNote Website.
Import filters: These files provide a match between references downloaded from databases or systems and the data fields in EndNote records. Import filters are designed to work with specific information providers and specific databases.
Output styles: These files are used to control the appearance of in-text citations and references in a bibliography. The style names are based on style guides (APA, Chicago, MLA) and journal publications, such as Nature, American Educational Research Journal, Educational Administration Quarterly, Journal of Banking and Finance, and many more.
Term lists: These are lists of words or phrases that serve as indexes for your EndNote library. Term lists are used for searching, helping with data entry, and creating bibliographies. Three terms lists are automatically created and updated: Authors, Journals, and Keywords
New Features in EndNote X6
- Automatically synchronize references and groups in EndNote desktop and EndNote Web.
- Change layout options to match your screen size and preference.
- View PDFs in a separate window for annotating.
- Apply a rating to each of your references.
- Mark references as read or unread.
- Copy or move the contents of one field to another field without losing formatting.
- Change the case of field data from the reference window.
- Change the case of field data for all references currently "showing" in the library window.
- Select difference author name formats for short forms of full reference footnotes.
- Edit full reference footnote citations to exclude author name, year, or author/year.
- E-mail a selected reference with your without file and figure attachments to your colleagues.
- Retrieve records in XML format from online search databases.