EndNote How-To Book
Citing Medicine: NLM Style Guide
This NLM style guide is a great tool for formatting bibliographic citations and compiling lists of references
EndNote library: Your database of literature references/citations. Each reference in an EndNote library is stored as an individual record with specific fields for the author, title, publisher, date, and more.
Reference types: There is a template for each reference type in an EndNote library (e.g. journals, books, newspaper articles, conference proceedings). Version X4 has 47 reference types with 3 unused templates for user-created reference types.
Connection files: These files allow you to search selected databases without leaving the EndNote program. Some of these resources, such as library catalogs and PubMed, are freely available and either install with the EndNote program or are available for download from the EndNote Website.
Import filters: These files provide a match between references downloaded from databases or systems and the data fields in EndNote records. Import filters are designed to work with specific information providers and specific databases.
Output styles: These files are used to control the appearance of in-text citations and references in a bibliography. The style names are based on style guides (APA, Chicago, MLA) and journal publications, such as Nature, American Educational Research Journal, Educational Administration Quarterly, Journal of Banking and Finance, and many more.
Term lists: These are lists of words or phrases that serve as indexes for your EndNote library. Term lists are used for searching, helping with data entry, and creating bibliographies. Three terms lists are automatically created and updated: Authors, Journals, and Keywords
New Features in EndNote X7
- Continuous background synchronization between EndNote desktop and EndNote Web.
- New reference import types: Interview, Podcast, Conference Paper & Press Release
- Enable auto importing into specified folders or separate groups & renaming during import
- MS PowerPoint plug-in to add citaations & reference lists (Windows feature only)
- Customizable columns display
- Control reference ratings display
- Control read/unread fields display
- Improved quick search now automatically includes results from PDFs & PDF annotations
- Shared group indicator
- Add subheadings to your bibliography
Copy record number to another field in reference